Sacred Heart Hospice Companion Volunteers help to personalize, support and enhance the quality of our clients' lives by bringing the gift of friendship to our patients with regular visits. These volunteers offer...
- Companionship by just being there for the patient and offering to read, play music or a game, simply talking with the patient, or assisting with non-medical tasks
- Emotional support to the patients by listening & sharing experiences, allowing the expression of feelings, holding a hand, giving a needed hug, and offering words of comfort
- Respite care by staying with the patient while the family member enjoys a moment alone to run errands, make appointments, or simply take time to care for themselves
Our Companion Volunteers receive training regarding the philosophy of hospice, the role of the volunteer and other staff members, as well as, helpful skills in caring for and communicating with hospice patients and their families. Volunteer hours are flexible and scheduled according to your availability. Volunteer duties are assigned based on your comfort level.
- Good Interpersonal Skills:
- Willingness to help others
- Ability to work as a member of the hospice team.
- Good Communication Skills:
- Both written and verbal.
- Age 18 or over
- A positive approach to life
- Flexibility of schedule
- Sound judgment regarding issues of death and dying
- Ability to work independently with indirect supervision.
- You are encouraged to wait a minimum of one year following the death of a loved one before serving as a direct care volunteer or in public relations activities.
- Some travel is required, services are provided in the patient’s home.
We reserve the right to decide whether a volunteer, under stress, should continue in the program or delay participation.
Volunteers are the heart of Sacred Heart Hospice, Phoenix Arizona that is committed to excellent service of comfort and care to patients requiring hospice care, palliative care or care in assisted living facilities.